Wednesday 22 May 2013

HOME FROM HOME

We just returned yesterday to the Tirol,  after spending the kids school holidays in the UK.  It was a whirlwind of visiting family and friends and all my favourite shops, cafes and junk shops, that I so dearly miss.

 Once again I stuffed my Ryan air hand-luggage case with Yorkshire tea bags, English Cheddar cheese, Bisto gravy granules, Colmans mustard, and as many glossy magazines as my 10 Kg hand luggage would allow.  I gave up long ago bringing back streaky bacon and Lincolnshire sausage for fear of it being confiscated by the Customs officer.  It's funny but having my creature comforts from the UK with me in the Alps, makes it seem so much more like home.
I GUESS YOU CAN TAKE THE GIRL OUT OF YORKSHIRE, BUT YOU CAN'T TAKE YORKSHIRE OUT OF THE GIRL!

I got my fix of walking on my beloved beach in my Ugg boots and watching the waves bring lovely new shells ashore plus the odd piece of drift wood.  I love the effect, the sense of freedom that the beach and sea have on me.  I appreciate the flat ground, such a contrast from walking up and down mountains, the air too is different, walking at sea level is so different to my other life living on the edge of a mountain at 1380m above sea level.  Looking out to sea and seeing water for miles and miles compared to looking out and seeing very steep mountains.

I know I am so lucky to live two so completely different lives but sometimes it takes some adjusting to mentally and you always seem to have the feeling of being transient and being an outsider.  I seem to miss out on family occasions, fun parties, Harvey Nichols sale preview evenings, the nice weather, etc etc. Plus I never seem have the right clothes with me for the time of year either, except of course my marvelous Ugg boots, which seem to work well in the mountains, beach and countryside... Horrah for the Ugg boot!!   However  I do believe being born under the star sign of Gemini the twins, does help me balance the two worlds I live in and I have to say life is never boring, but as they say...  Only boring people, get bored!

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean! I always come back from Spain with Serrano ham and the likes (no-one has confiscated it yet!) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I come back from my home state of Idaho with these funny little candy bars called "Idaho Spud" bars that you can't find many other places. They're not that good, actually, but they remind me of home :) A better homeland treat for me is a jar of honey from beehives placed on my family farm. The beekeeper is not a family member but pays for the land usage by giving my mother lots of honey--which we all happily spirit away after a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so funny/sweet, that we all have our little LOVES from our own countries that make us feel at home! Thank both for your comments, its lovely to hear I am not alone.

    ReplyDelete