Thursday 20 June 2013

A LITTLE BIT ABOUT ME...











St. Anton am Arlberg, Tirol, Austria

TALES FROM THE ALPS...Four years ago my husband and I decided to rebuild an old ski lodge in the Alps, with the intention of turning it into a family holiday home. It was never our plan to actually live here, but as our appreciation for the area grew, we decided to take the leap and actually move out here full time.  Four years on and we are still happily living here and our two children are now settled in the local Austrian schools and mountain life.
 Never did I imagine I would be happy living at 1380 meters above sea level on the side of a mountain, as I am a beach girl at heart.  My friends now joke and call me the "landlocked-mermaid".
For me it was a huge life-decision to up-sticks and make home in another country, where I did not speak a word of German, plus I have always thought myself to be very British... So I decided to move my favorite bits and bobs of British stuff with me... including our rescue dog Max, my horse Dan, my collection of miss matched china tea cups, Yorkshire Tea bags, union jack cushions, wooden hearts and amongst many other things a beautiful blue Aga!  I have made a new home for us in the Mountains, filled with shabby chic and vintage finds.

I have been to the school of life and loved every minute of it.

I grew up in Yorkshire on a farm, with my wonderful large family around me, being very free and happy and of course I had my first grey pony, my best friend then, as is my current beloved grey horse Dan is now.  I have since lived in Yorkshire, Windsor, London and then Lincolnshire for 11 years, before moving to the Austrian Alps.
I am lucky enough to have lived in the beautiful British countryside, and by the coast in England too, plus lived and worked in our fabulous capital city of London for nearly 10 years, so I guess the mountains were really the next on the list!

I am married to Peter and we have two wonderful children, James 13  and Jemima 9.  I never expected to take to motherhood so well and love my children so so so much.  I feel very blessed.

As I am a Gemini I am pretty versatile and generally easy going, yet fun loving too. I am a jack of all trades and master of just a few, but to me the fun is in learning and trying something new.   I love starting lots of projects at once, and finishing them eventually, so constantly doing something, as I believe that...... "only boring people get bored".

So when the challenge of moving countries finally arrived, I was VERY reluctant at first but then I decided to give it my all and make us a family home exactly as I would in the UK,  just in the Alps.... so with a few antlers, sheepskins and old ski's and then tadaaaaar!
 My "tongue in cheek" style blog is the story of our adjustment to life in another country, a very snowy one for at least 5 months of the year! Our adventures,  the ups and the downs.
 I hope you enjoy the journey we are still on.... Fairy tales from the Alps.
 Liz x

No comments:

Post a Comment