Sunday 13 May 2012

SWAPPING my JIMMY CHOOS for UGG BOOTS!

Staring at me from my huge wardrobe in England, were several lines of rather fabulous shoes, of varying heights, colours, and styles, many with red soles and Jimmy labels inside.  I had always been able to justify my addiction to shoes and clothes, since working in the fashion industry in London for most of my working life, I had accumulated a spectacular display.  The only problem was what use would they be to me at 1380 meters above sea level, in a house perched on the side of a ski slope?

As my life in the Alps progressed, the answer to this dilemma soon became crystal clear... They would be no use to me at all and there and then began my addiction to Ugg boots.  I soon found out that they came in all sorts of different styles, some long, some short, black, brown, tan, beige.  Fabulously comfortable, flat, furry and warm, they became my new must have purchase and over the years the torture of changing into a pair of high heels for a special occasion, seems unbearable!  On the rare occasion I do wear heels, I always leave a pair of Uggs in the car to slip into for the journey home.  They are like my new best friends and allies in my Alpine life.
Seeing many of my beloved heels listed on eBay and making only a fraction of their original worth, was dreadful but helped to fund my new Ugg boot addiction!

Now don't get me wrong, I didn't sell all of my beloved shoes... a girl can't part with all of them, and anyway I am not constantly on the side of the mountain!  I remember one happy evening attending a friends fun Oscar evening, which started with drinks in a nice hotel bar in the main street of St Anton.  The dress code was "Oscar glamour", which in the middle of Winter, snow on the ground and temperatures of approx minus 10, is not as easy as it sounds.  I opted for a nice long black dress and my once adored black velvet strappy Jimmy choos, topped with a Moncler Ski Jacket (more about Moncler, later).  How practical the top half of my body was and how impractical the feet were!  Somewhere between taxi and hotel my Jimmy's hit a patch of ice and I lay flat on the snowy ground in the middle of St Anton high street.


2 comments:

  1. Loving it Liz......I can 't believe its only three years ! I can remember you telling me that you would never live there . And look at you now.
    I look forward to the next instalment. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, so true, I never planned to live there, and can't believe how much I like it! Just goes to show we should "never say never"....

      Delete