Thursday 7 February 2013

THE SMELL OF INSPIRATION!

January came and went and I felt truly uninspired by this month, which is rather rare for me as I usually have the problem of fitting everything in!  But so far this year I have been lustlos, to use my new german word!  It means the same in English as it sounds in German.

I am wondering if this is the result of deciding not to make any new years resolutions this year for fear of the usual disappointment of not keeping them.  But without making a few goals or restrictions on myself, I seem to have lost direction.

Then today I read this article advising us to explore the senses and noticing the everyday which should bring us back to ourselves or hopefully my usually inspired-self.
It asked us to write a list of smells that you love and if anything what they remind you of... so here goes!

I love the smell of jasmine and hyacinth plants, they remind me of spring.
The smell of washing that has been drying in the wind on the washing line outside.
Freshly laundered linen... especially washed in Persil!
The smell of my children in their pj's when I cuddle them in bed at night.
Freshly baked bread and scones.  That moreish smell that makes you want to eat them all at once!
My Chanel no 5 soap, sitting proudly on the side of my bath, it's aroma scents the room as you walk in.
The smell of my old cashmere cardigan given to me by my Mum, reminds me of her scent!
Roast chicken cooking, reminds me of delicious sunday lunches at my parents house.
I love the stuffy smell of my dog in the morning when he has been sleeping all night.
Pipe smoke reminds me of my Dad, puffing away in his armchair.
New leather boots.
Firelighters.
The smell of paper as you open a new magazine, it's my sheer indulgence.
But best of all I love the smell of my horse, Dan! His fur when slightly warm and sweaty out riding takes me back to my childhood, riding wild and free over the fields, when we hadn't got a care in the world!  Horse smell is like therapy!

So what smells inspire you? Have a go at writing your list, it was quite good fun and quite inspiring!


No comments:

Post a Comment