Sunday 3 June 2012

GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!

AND ALL THINGS BRITISH!


I have had rather major computer problems over the past few weeks, as in my laptop died on me without warning!  So my blogging came to an abrupt halt.  So with new computer up and running, I thought what better day than the Jubilee day, to start writing again....

Well, I feel rather sad that I have missed out on all the Jubilee celebrations and tea parties in the UK today, especially as I am so fond of a cup of tea and slice of Victoria Sandwich cake.  So this morning at the stables, I thought I must wear my Union Jack saddle cloth as a toast to our Queen Elizabeth 2.  As my horse, Dan, lives in Austria with me, this caused a few smiles and puzzled stares along the way!

I then spent the entire afternoon glued to the TV watching the celebration on the Thames.  Gosh how marvelous it was and how terribly British too, despite the driving rain, there was not a sad face in sight, no, everyone smiled happily, waved their flags and just got on with it!  I was especially thrilled with the choir from the Royal Philharmonic, who sang their hearts out to Land of Hope and Glory, whilst the rain lashed against their faces!  I think the Queen and Prince Philip are both incredible too, aged 86 and 90 they stood for the whole 4 hours and looked as if they enjoyed every second of it.
I also heard today that during her 60 year rule, the Queen has seen 12 different Prime Ministers come and go, and she also still has a weekly meeting with the current Prime Minister to discuss matters of the week!

Which brings me on to last week and my first visit to the Chelsea flower show in London.  On one of the hottest days of the year so far, I headed to the show, early to try and get a better view of the gardens, but everyone else had the same idea.  Again what a British event this is.  Smartly dressed ladies (mainly), all wearing a similar uniform of either summer dress or beige chinos or white linen trousers and pretty tops, a cardi and flat sandals, carrying RHS recyclable hessian bags! and of course a straw sun hat, all very Mrs Tunbridgewells!
In true British style the Pimms tent was busy, as were the tea and cake stalls.  Not to mention the hundreds  of other stalls all selling every possible garden item in the universe, I began to think I was at a rather expensive garden centre!
I am still astonished though how they get the plants to remain so poker straight and upright despite the heat and sun, why don't they wilt like my flowers always do?

I loved seeing all the Union Jacks and British stuff, stuffed into shop windows, bunting everywhere and a general feeling of good spirits in the city.  I was only sorry that I was returning to Austria with Ryan air and my 10 kg hand luggage allowance, or else I too may have been tempted to stuff my case with more Union Jack memorabilia!  not to mention a few more box's of Yorkshire Tea bags, crumpets, Marmite, Bisto, British smoked bacon, and of course cheddar cheese.

I did however return to the Alps and made homemade strawberry Jam and a Victoria sponge cake for the family.... as they say "YOU CAN TAKE A GIRL OUT OF ENGLAND, BUT YOU CAN'T TAKE ENGLAND OUT OF THE GIRL"...

No comments:

Post a Comment